Saturday 28 December 2013

Some Fun Facts

Fun facts about the past 10 months, or 39 weeks, or 271 days

I have slept in 118 beds.

Thats three different beds a week. My favourites were a hammock on the beach and a camp bed in the desert Rajasthan. If I were travelling for any longer I would like to stay in one place for a while (my longest stay was just under two weeks on Koh Tao doing my dive courses).

For example, I found out ony a few weeks ago about WWOOFING (Willing Workers On Organic Farms), which has placements all over the world. I would have loved to have worked on a coffee farm in Costa Rica for a month or so - next time!

I have travelled on...

22 Planes -  too many, I know

14 Boats - 1 over night

16 Trains - 10 of them over night

24 Overnight Buses - and on hundreds of other bus journeys under 12 hours long.

If we assume that each over night journey is 12 hours long (and many are a lot, lot more), this equals 420 hours or 17.5 days on sleeper buses, trains and boats.

It should be obvious but I didn't realise that one of the most time consuming, and boring) aspects of 'travelling' is the actual travel. Lots of these journeys have been very, very boring and my patience has definitely improved. Never again will I complain when I'm stuck in a traffic jam or a train leaves ten minutes late.

However some have been amazing - on the roof of a bus in Nepal, tiny planes into the jungle, sticking my head out of the open door of a train in India, slow boats along the Mekong and practicing my Spanish on public buses in South America.

They are also by no means the extent of my transport. I have also been on mopeds, dune buggies, camels, elephants, cable cars, tuktuks, campervans, dug out canoes, kayaks, zip lines, mules, bamboo trains, mountain bikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment